So I was developing this run of the mill website for one of my clients. When I was creating my log in page I added a feature so that if a user entered his password wrong 3 times the account will be blocked.
So when I finished up I sent my work to the Customers QA department which consisted of 1 person (ALL OF WHICH ARE CLAIMED TO BE IT EXPERTS). So the QA phase went on and I got a bug raised basically this is what it said:
"I entered the account name wrong three times with the correct password so it would block, but when i entered a correct account and a correct password it would still let me access".
My answer was basically:
"Hi! As of this day there's no way we can read the user's mind to see what account name he WANTED to enter, i think you meant to test the PASSWORD".
Bug fixed, no response from QA :).